Create New Groups
Administrators have the ability to create groups, assign users to a group, grant permissions to a group, and assign groups to cases. These procedures can be completed in the System Manager.
Note: Users are not assigned permissions directly. Rather, permissions are set at the group level and filter down to the users assigned to them. Similarly, users cannot be assigned to cases directly. They must first be assigned to groups, and those groups assigned to cases.
These procedures assume users were already created as explained in Create New User.
Complete the following steps to create a new group and add users:
- Click the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the screen. The Settings icon is a global button that displays in every module of the OPEN DISCOVERY platform.
The System Manager opens. In the left pane of the System Manager, click Groups.
Click the button at the top of the screen. The Create New Group page opens.
You have the option to create a new group (from scratch), or to copy the pre-defined configuration from an existing group. Choose one of the following options:
- Create New Group - Select this option to create a new group from scratch. Permission templates can be applied but users and cases must be assigned manually.
Copy from Existing - Select this option to use the configuration of an existing group as a template for the group you're adding. All users from the selected group will be automatically applied to the new group. During the next steps of the wizard, you can tweak these user assignments as well as add security permissions. This option makes it faster and easier to create a new group, when the users, cases, or permissions for the new group overlap with those already assigned to another group.
If you selected the first option, Create New Group, provide a name for the group in the Group Name field. If you selected the second option, Copy from Existing, select the group you wish to copy from the drop-down field. Then provide a group name. Click Next.
Note: Group names must be unique.
- On the Assign Users step, select the users you would like to assign to the new group. Selected users are highlighted in blue. To assign all users to the group, click Select All in the top-right corner of the box. To search for individual users, click the icon, then type the name in the search bar. When all needed users have been selected, click Next.
On the Set Permissions step, choose one of the following options:
- Use Existing - Select this option to choose a pre-existing security template with group permissions already configured, or to assign permissions from scratch.
- Copy from Group - Select this option to use the permission set of an existing group as a template for the group you're adding. All permissions assigned to the existing group will be applied to the new group. You can then tweak the permissions as needed to suit the new group.
If you selected the first option, Use Existing, you can either assign permissions from scratch or select a security template with permissions already defined. If selecting a security template, select the appropriate option from the Template Name drop-down menu. These templates, which must be created ahead of time, come with permissions already configured. For more information on security templates, see Overview: Security Templates.
To assign permissions manually, expand the needed section (Case Management, Media and Data, Search and Review, Reports, or System), then select the check box beside each permission you would like to provide the group. You can select all permissions in a given section by clicking the slide bar to the right of the section name. Additionally, you can clear all permissions in a given section by clicking the slider once again. In certain places, permissions can be selected from a drop-down menu. To learn more about the list of available permissions, see Permissions List. When finished assigning all permissions, click Next.
- If you selected the second option on the Set Permissions step, Copy from Group, you can choose the existing group whose permissions you would like to copy. Click the Group Name drop-down menu, then select the appropriate group from the list. The permission set will update automatically to reflect the configuration of the chosen group. You can then tweak the permissions manually to suit the new group. Expand the needed sections (Case Management, Media and Data, Search and Review, Reports, or System), then select the check box beside each permission you would like to provide the group. You can also remove a permission from the group by clicking on a check box that has already been selected. When finished assigning all permissions, click Next.
- On the Assign Cases step, select the cases that you would like to make accessible to the new group. Selected cases are highlighted in blue. To assign the group to all cases, click Select All in the top-right corner of the box. To search for specific cases, click the icon, then type the name of the case in the search bar. When all required cases have been selected, click Save.