Create a Security Template
Administrators have the ability to create security templates in the System Manager. Security templates allow you to apply a pre-configured set of permissions to a group, or multiple groups, which you can then tweak as needed. The templates allow easy assignment of specific permissions. Permission changes made in OPEN DISCOVERY are reflected in Eclipse. For more information about the permissions available for selection, see Permissions List.
Complete the following steps to create a new security template:
- Click the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the screen. The Settings icon is a global button that displays in every module of the OPEN DISCOVERY platform.
The System Manager opens. In the left pane of the System Manager, click Security Templates.
Click the button at the top of the screen. The Create New Security Template page opens.
You have the option to create a new security template (from scratch), or to copy the pre-defined configuration from an existing security template. Choose one of the following options:
- Create New Template - Select this option to create a new template from scratch. All permissions must be assigned manually.
- Copy Existing Template - Select this option to use the configuration of an existing security template for the new template you're adding. All permissions assigned to the existing security template will be applied to the new one. During the next steps of the wizard, you can tweak these permissions as needed. This option makes it faster and easier to create a new template, when the permissions for the new one overlap with those already assigned to another.
If you selected the first option, Create New Template, provide a name for the template in the Template Name field. If you selected the second option, Copy Existing Template, select the security template you wish to copy from the drop-down field. Then provide a template name. Click Next.
Note: Template names must be unique.
- Proceed through each step of the wizard, selecting all needed permissions for the security template. To apply a permission, click on the check box beside its name. The check box turns blue and a check mark appears inside. If a permission has been selected and you would like to remove it, click on the check box again. You can select all permissions in a given section by clicking the slide bar to the right of the section name. Additionally, you can clear all permissions in a given section by clicking the slider once again. In certain places, permissions can be selected from a drop-down menu. When finished with each step, click Next to proceed to the next step. For more information about the permissions available for selection, see Permissions List.
- The Review Template step of the wizard displays a list of all permissions, including those which have not been selected. Review the list and make any necessary changes. When finished, click Save.