Exporting Load Files
Once your search is complete and the data is fully processed, you can export it to a load file for use with a review tool for analysis and production. One of the most common ones is Relativity's load file, which is a type of file used in litigation that contains metadata, extracted text, and native files. Load files are in a format, usually .dat, .csv, or .txt, that can be read by popular eDiscovery software. While there are many different flavors of load files, they all serve the same general purpose: they can be used by litigation support software to import (load) information about
Load files are useful for early case assessment, filtering data, and narrowing a data set. A load file can be used within eDiscovery software so that the documents can be viewed, searched, and filtered. Information for each document is contained in multiple files. An image file is created, which is simply an image of the document. When image files are converted to .tiff, information such as textual content and metadata is lost. Also lost is the ability to search for information contained in the document. To remedy this, so that the documents may be searched after being loaded into eDiscovery software, additional files are created containing the metadata and document contents. When opened in Relativity, the load file ties all the information together by connecting the image files to the right text and metadata files.
Once you have exported a load file (.dat format), a .zip file is created which contains the load file at the root of the folder. The load file describes the contents of the folder and their metadata. eDiscovery software, such as Relativity, can point to a load file, read it, and understand the data in the subfolders.
- Name and locations of image files
- Document unitization information (i.e. document breaks)
- Electronic document (ESI) file names and locations
- Email messages are in EML format
- Extracted metadata information
- OCR (searchable text) file names and locations
- Other fielded document information
A load file is basically a comma delimited text file that you can open with any basic text editor.
After you have exported a load file for your matter, it can be imported into Relativity for further case assessment.
(Click image to expand)
- Once you are satisfied with your search results, select items to export from the Document view. You can select items from different tabs.
- In the
A CaseOverview toolbar, click Export A Case> New Export.
In order to export items, you must have created the Case.
- The Export Wizard displays.
- Choose the Search tabs to export. You can export multiple tabs.
- Select items to export. You can export all items or only selected items. Also, you can skip the export of items that contain a specific tag. Click Next.
- Select the Export to Load File option and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Do the following:
- Enter a name for the export.
- Select the Send an email once the export is complete option if you want to receive a notification once the export job is complete. By default, the email address entered is that of the
casemanager who is logged in on the current NetGovern Search session.
- Select the Set max file size for Export option if you want to split the export job according to a specified file size. Enter the maximum file size or and choose GB, MB, or KB from the drop-down selection.
- Select the Password-protect zip files option if you want the export job to produce password-protected PDF and .zip (for multiple PDF) files. Enter and verify a password.
If you opt for password protection, the .zip export will be encrypted but the file and folder structure of the .zip file will remain visible. A password will be requested when opening the individual files.
- In Choose Export Compression Format, select the desired export compression file format (7ZIP or ZIP).
- Click Finish to submit your export.
- Click Export Management under the Export Audit tab.
- The List of Exports window opens, displaying a list of all the export jobs that are running or that have been run for the current
casemanager and case. The window refreshes itself automatically to update the progress of the export. The larger the export, the longer it takes to process the data.
While the export is in progress, you can close the List of Exports window or even log out of NetGovern Search. You can always reopen the window at any time by clicking Export
A Case> Export Management.
If you are logging back in to NetGovern Search, make sure to log in as the same case manager and load the same case from which the export was executed.
- When the export is successfully completed, the List of Exports window will show 100% in the Progress column.
- If you selected the option to send an email notification when the export is completed, then the notification email will be sent to the specified recipient. This email contains the job summary and error reports, as well as a prompt to log in to NetGovern Search to retrieve the report.
- To view information about the export, click Details next to your export job.
- The Export Details window opens.
- Double-click on the .zip file to open it. If you chose to password protect the .zip file, enter your password and click OK.
- The folder contains the load file at the root of the folder, subfolders for the metadata, extracted text from email messages, and image files (.tif) of each document.