Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) provides organizations with the ability to create full information lifecycle management policies to address their long-term records retention and records management needs. ILM gives you the ability to manage archived data by creating jobs to delete expired messages. To begin, you must first create an ILM policy that processes the items you want to delete—see Configuring Policies. Then, you can create and configure the ILM Deletion job, called an Archive Lifecycle job in NetGovern.
- Select Archiving > Agents > Archive Lifecycle> your job.
- Select the Criteria tab.
- In the Action Type section, select the Deletion option to specify which components of the archive data to delete.
- In the Data Source section, select the storage location on which the archive files reside.
- You can also click Change to Find your configured storage locations.
If no storage locations appear, it means that storage locations were not configured. Before proceeding, you must specify one or more storage locations—see Configuring Locations.
- Select the Expired Messages Only option to delete expired messages only. If you do not choose this option, the ILM job will delete the items based on the date range specified in the policy associated with the ILM job, regardless of the retention flag applied to the items at the time of their archiving.
- It is this option that allows you to override a previously applied retention period on your archived data. For example, you have initially archived your data with a 7-year retention flag applied to each item, but later decide that you only need to retain items for 5 years. In this case, you could configure an ILM deletion job with a policy that selects items up to 5 years old, ensuring that the Expired Messages Only option is not selected for the ILM job. The job will then only rely on the filter criteria assigned when it has to decide which archived items to delete. The dates selected as the filter values will key off the messages' Delivery Date.
- In the Deletion section, select one of the following options:
- Index Only to delete only the indexes for the selected items. When you do this, the items are left in the archive storage location, but they are not accessible to end users and auditors. To reenable access to these items, you must reindex the archive data.
- Archives and Indexes to delete the archived .xml files and the indexes of the chosen items.
- Archives, Audit Files, and Indexes to delete the archived .xml files and the indexes of the chosen items, as well as the audit files created by NetGovern Archive to track the actions performed on the items during their lifetime in the archive. This is the most common option used when removing items from the archive at the end of their retention period.
- To process only the accounts that did not process correctly the last time, select the Process Failed Accounts option.
- To run a Report, click the relevant check box. Select the block size corresponding to that of your storage location (1, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 KB) to ensure that the report is accurate.
- In Filter Value, you can refine the scope of your ILM Deletion Job by using the Advanced Search query builder. Enable the Use filter instead of policy option to replace a legacy policy with filter criteria specified in the query builder—see Advanced Search. The filter criteria assigned to the job will span across all location types included in the job scope.
IMPORTANT After saving the criteria selected in Filter Value, a previously applied, legacy policy will no longer be in use.
- Click Save.