Configuring the Index Agent
After creating your Index Job and specifying appropriate Job Settings, you are ready to select advanced Index Job criteria. To begin, click the name of the job you created earlier. By default, the Job Settings tab is displayed. The Job Settings tab allows you to configure basic settings for any of your jobs. The Job Settings tab is available on each Job Agent and is displayed by default when you click on the name of the job you created.
Open the Criteria tab. The Criteria tab allows you to specify what kind of indexing you would like to create and the archive storage location for which you want to manage the indexes.
Choosing an Indexing Job Type
Under Indexer, choose the type of indexing you wish to perform from the available options:
- Incremental Indexing: This option indexes any new archive data in the chosen location.
- Recreate Indexes: This option re-indexes all of the data in the chosen location from scratch. Under this option, you can delete existing tags.
Recreating indexes can be a time consuming task if you have large amounts of archived data in the specified location. During the re-indexing process, no archived data will be accessible or searchable by end users or auditors. As such, this type of re-indexing should be carried out only if absolutely necessary.
- Failure list indexing: A type of incremental indexing, this option indexes any item that was not successfully indexed by previous jobs, typically an Archive Job with real-time indexing. Such items are tracked in the audit folders of the storage locations in a ToIndex.xml file. This type of Index Job will attempt to index the items specified in that file for the specified accounts in the specified location and should be used with care.
- Delete check points: A type of incremental indexing, this option sets a checkpoint when a set of messages is fully indexed without any errors; when an Index Job next runs, only data from after the checkpoint will be indexed.
NetGovern recommends that you use real-time indexing on your Archive Jobs to keep your indexes up to date and avoid the need to run these dedicated Index Jobs.
Specify the location of the previously created archive data that you want to Index, and additional criteria under Data Source. Use the dropdown menu to select an existing archive storage location where this Index Job can find the archives for which you want to create indexes.
If no locations appear in the list, you must configure a location—see
Items to be indexed
From the two available options, select which items in the specified location are to be indexed:
- Messages (includes Tasks, Notes, Calendar items, etc.)
- Attachments Content
For Incremental Indexing, both Messages and Attachments Content are selected by default. You can opt to not index attachments, but you must index messages.
Process Failed Accounts
Use this option to process accounts that failed on the last run.
After specifying your options, click Save to save your settings. If you do not click Save, your settings will not be saved.